The Rest of Our Hiking Pictures Can Be Found Here

Finding Trail Descriptions

So as not to repeat myself excessively, I am reducing the amount of description of trails that have already been posted. Please use the search function ( upper left) to find older posts which have more detailed trail descriptions and pictures. You can also use this to find specific hikes either by trail or mountain.



Click Pictures for a Larger View


Friday, January 24, 2014

1/24/14 Paul Bunyan Snowmobile Trail

Three degrees, light wind, and sun. I had an appointment this morning so we got a late start. Decided to try the trail behind our house. It's a utility easement but is usually used by snowmobiles- not yet this year - and it connects to other trails that go on for miles. Very nice to just go out the door and have miles of trails- the first short part is through neighborhood but then becomes more isolated. The first part was a little lumpy - no one had used it- but that was short and the real trail had been used by snowmobiles- although not since the last snow. We had a nice firm crust covered with 2 or 3 inches of snow and no ice - nice walking. A first there were the tracks of a lone walker and then after him a deer, and then a skier and parts had been used by no one . We walked for an hour and then turned back. Kelley was happy to be out- I think she thought I had left her behind when I was gone earlier - and it was easy walking for her too. There was one frozen stream that she had to work around the steep bank but that was  the only difficulty. I only took two pictures- of the same fence. I thought the paint was chipped but when I looked more closely I saw it was small lichen. Not very exciting but all there is.


A pretty good two hour hike. Once I got moving I was comfortable and  for Kelley the cold never seems to be a problem


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you do not have a Google account the easiest way to post a comment is to use anonymous and then, if you wish, put your name in the body of your