The Rest of Our Hiking Pictures Can Be Found Here

Finding Trail Descriptions

So as not to repeat myself excessively, I am reducing the amount of description of trails that have already been posted. Please use the search function ( upper left) to find older posts which have more detailed trail descriptions and pictures. You can also use this to find specific hikes either by trail or mountain.



Click Pictures for a Larger View


Friday, July 24, 2015

7/23/15 Sheepscot Headwaters


Mix of sun and clouds with rain forecast. We picked this trail because there are others nearby if the deer flies are really bad. Upper 60's, so comfortable temps. Kelley seemed in good spirits and ready to hike. I have got away from detailing the trails because I felt I was repeating myself but today thought it's been awhile so....

Starting from the parking lot you climb a short section of the Whitten Hill Trail Kelley was behind me on this part because there was lots to sniff.


Northern Headwaters Trail

 Large fungi


Another part of the N. Headwaters Trail and Kelley takes the lead.


We turned off onto the Goose Ridge Trail because there are streams and a small pond for Kelley.


The only problem was the banks were steep for Kelley and she  needed help getting out of one. This section had had little use and was somewhat overgrown and though I pulled some grass in front of this bridge , Kelley would not cross it. ( she had in the past )





A little further on is an old broken dam


The rift is several feet long. We have continued on from here in the past but I can't see how Kelley got around it.



Pond beside the dam



Just starting into a shake.


It had taken us about an hour to get here and I didn't want Kelley to do more than two hours so we headed back and when we reached the N. Headwaters went back the way we had come rather completing the loop.

Back up the Goose Ridge Trail


Only flower today


Almost back. I like this section of the N. Headwaters trail with the old stone fences.


A pretty good hike with the nice temperatures and few mosquitoes or deer flies. Kelley seemed happy and was in the lead most of the way. We meant no one - a peaceful day.  2 hours

6 comments:

  1. Love that stone wall---someone put a lot of work into making that. I wonder how old it is.....

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue - we run into those fairly often in out of the way places - most are more tumble down - I expect someone, maybe from the land trust, has put back stones ala Robert Frost :

      Something there is that doesn't love a wall,
      That sends the frozen-ground-swell under it,
      And spills the upper boulders in the sun,
      And makes gaps even two can pass abreast.
      The work of hunters is another thing:
      I have come after them and made repair
      Where they have left not one stone on a stone,
      But they would have the rabbit out of hiding,
      To please the yelping dogs. The gaps I mean,
      No one has seen them made or heard them made,
      But at spring mending-time we find them there.
      I let my neighbor know beyond the hill;
      And on a day we meet to walk the line
      And set the wall between us once again.
      We keep the wall between us as we go.
      To each the boulders that have fallen to each.
      And some are loaves and some so nearly balls
      We have to use a spell to make them balance:
      'Stay where you are until our backs are turned!'
      We wear our fingers rough with handling them.
      Oh, just another kind of out-door game,
      One on a side. It comes to little more:
      There where it is we do not need the wall:
      He is all pine and I am apple orchard.
      My apple trees will never get across
      And eat the cones under his pines, I tell him.
      He only says, 'Good fences make good neighbors'.
      Spring is the mischief in me, and I wonder
      If I could put a notion in his head:
      'Why do they make good neighbors? Isn't it
      Where there are cows?
      But here there are no cows.
      Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
      What I was walling in or walling out,
      And to whom I was like to give offence.
      Something there is that doesn't love a wall,
      That wants it down.' I could say 'Elves' to him,
      But it's not elves exactly, and I'd rather
      He said it for himself. I see him there
      Bringing a stone grasped firmly by the top
      In each hand, like an old-stone savage armed.
      He moves in darkness as it seems to me~
      Not of woods only and the shade of trees.
      He will not go behind his father's saying,
      And he likes having thought of it so well
      He says again, "Good fences make good neighbors."

      Delete
    2. Absolutely beautiful. Though I had obviously heard the "good fences" part, I had never read the complete passage. Very nice! Have a great weekend
      Sue

      Delete
    3. You have a good one too.

      Delete
    4. Thanks - that would be fun.

      Delete
  2. All your hikes look so great, I wish I could tag along!

    ReplyDelete

If you do not have a Google account the easiest way to post a comment is to use anonymous and then, if you wish, put your name in the body of your