The Rest of Our Hiking Pictures Can Be Found Here

Finding Trail Descriptions

So as not to repeat myself excessively, I am reducing the amount of description of trails that have already been posted. Please use the search function ( upper left) to find older posts which have more detailed trail descriptions and pictures. You can also use this to find specific hikes either by trail or mountain.



Click Pictures for a Larger View


Tuesday, November 30, 2010

11/29/10 Breakneck and Carriage Roads



Cold but sunny. We started at the Hull's Cove end of the Breakneck Road, taking that down to the ponds and then picked up the carriage road loop that circles Witch Hole Pond and Paradise Hill. We met a couple of walkers and four people biking who Kelley was happy to meet.

Breakneck Road




Witch Hole Pond


Another pond near Witch Hole


My map showed a trail (unnamed) leading from the carriage road back to the Breakneck. We thought we had found it and started out but it soon disappeared. After a bit of bushwhacking we found a trail that did take us back to the Breakneck. We stopped for lunch and then returned the way we had come.

A beautiful day. 3-1/2 hours

6 comments:

  1. Sunny is nice. Cold but sunny is also good. Nice scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Yes, I don't mind the cold much if it is sunny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John,

    I've forgotten.... do you have a GPS unit?

    jt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi jt

    I have Mary's old unit but never learned how to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd be lost w/o one... literally. Never owned one of the new fancy talking ones, just a bare-bones one that will lead you back to a waypoint from anyplace in the world. Find a fishing hot spot in the middle of a large lake, mark it & return anytime you want. Great for mushroom hunting.

    Anyways, I was thinking you might enjoy tagging your photos with GPS coordinates so programs like Google Earth could zero in on them. Back in the 90s I used a USGS program to print out satellite photos of my house etc.

    Gordy has one of the new talking units that displays a map and is on my want list. Bought my first Garmin in early 90s.

    Maybe your cell phone displays GPS coordinates?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, jt

    That's an interesting idea. We meet lots of hikers with units and I did hike with a local man who uses one. Perhaps that will motivate me to learn it. My cell is not that fancy and I don't carry it.

    ReplyDelete

If you do not have a Google account the easiest way to post a comment is to use anonymous and then, if you wish, put your name in the body of your